What is Health Food? What is Organic Food? What is Natural Food?
Organically grown foods are the foods that are produced without using chemical fertilizers and harmful pesticides. Organic poultry, dairy products, and meat means that the grass fed beef, or other animals and birds, were not given growth hormones, steroids, or antibiotics. The awareness of the adverse effects of chemicals in non-organic food is spreading, and more and more people are opting to buy organic and to eat 100% grass fed beef and dairy products.
It is more costly to grow organically and to raise animals and birds organically, and that is the reason it is sometimes more expensive than common supermarket food. In spite of the cost difference, more people are switching over to organically grown foods because of the indisputable benefits; it is well worth any extra money spent due to these advantages:
1. Organically grown food has a high nutritional content. When no pesticides, insecticides, or chemical fertilizers are used for growing plants, the plants start to produce more proteins and antioxidants to fight against the pests, insects, and other diseases that attack the plant. The same thing applies for 100% grass fed beef raised on a certified organic farm. Their bodies start to produce more vitamins and minerals to survive. It is no wonder that some organically grown foods can have up to 50% or more nutrients and less fat than non-organic food.
2. The chemicals used on the plants we eat, as well as the plants which animals eat, enter our bodies when we eat non-organic food. These chemicals often can increase the risk of Cancer, Alzheimer's Disease, Obesity and Food Allergies. Infants and children are at higher risk of birth defects when a pregnant woman eats non-organic food. Breast fed children also may be affected. Studies have proven that these chemicals may affect the neurological development in infants. The hormones injected into the animals and poultry also reportedly may decrease fertility.
3. Organic food can be tastier than other food. As the plants are naturally grown without the use of artificial fertilizers, the harvested products are more pleasant tasting. Warning - once you taste organic, your taste buds may be reluctant to accept other food.
4. Organic farming helps in increasing the fertility of the soil. The animals that live in organic farms are healthier. Environmental pollution is minimized.
It is clear that organic foods are beneficial. Do you want to buy organic food? If the answer is YES, the next question that will arise in your mind is, 'Where do you buy organic food?" Your local market or the super market in your area may not sell it. Even if your local market sells it you may not be certain if the product is genuine and certified organic.
Many food labels will say "Natural" or "Healthy" on the label, but do not be deceived; this means nothing as far as the organic content or nutrition in the food. You should read the entire label. If you want to insure you are buying certified organic food, the best advice is look for the USDA Organic Seal.
The USDA has three categories of labels for organic food:
1. 100% Organic: means made with 100% organic ingredients
2. Organic: means made with 95% minimum organic ingredients
3. Made With Organic Ingredients: means made with a minimum of 70% organic ingredients, with strict restrictions for the other 30% including no GMOs (genetically modified organisms)
Anything with less than 70% organic ingredients can list organically produced ingredients on the side of the package, but cannot make organic claims on the front of the package.
It is to your advantage financially to buy organic online. When you buy online you save a lot of time, and your time is certainly worth money. You can always work to make more money, but once your time is gone you can never get it back. Add the savings in gasoline, wear and tear on your car, and eliminate drive time to and from grocery stores; you will find that any extra costs you pay to buy organic food online is more than worth it.